Thursday, July 28, 2011

Good Food, bad company.

This is the second time my wife and I have been to this beach together so there were two places we wanted to go back to after already eating there. One is Calypso Joe’s, a Caribbean grille. We go for the burgers and slaw. The atmosphere is cool as well, it is right next to a dock where the big yachts come and go, and also it has a nice outdoors feel to it. In fact my wife wanted to eat outside, but I saw it was crowded and a long wait so I made the decision to be seated inside.

This time though, it wasn’t so fun. The food was still great. I had their Paradise Burger: Fresh Ground Beef gilled over an open flame, topped with Smoked Cheddar, Swiss and Provolone Cheese, served on a Butter-Toasted Kaiser Bun, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, and Pickle. They have some great burger choices, but this one had the most cheese on it and you can never have enough cheese on a burger. It also came with fries and slaw. The fries are excellent, they have just enough spice on them and they give you a lot of them. I hate going to a restaurant and not getting enough fries with my meal, sometimes I want to ask the server if they ate some on the way to the table. But at Joe’s I had to force myself to finish my fries and some of my wife’s, the sacrifice husbands have to make. The slaw is the best, it’s called island slaw. I haven’t figured out what is in it, but I could eat a tub of this stuff. It has a sweet and spicy taste to it. Highly recommend it.
So the food was great, but this time the atmosphere was not. First of all Calypso Joe’s is a very casual restaurant. You could go in there wearing flip flops, shorts and a T-shirt; it is a place at the beach after all. I was sitting facing the door, I was trying to hold back my laughter, but it must have been obvious that I saw something. My wife asked what I just saw. By that time, these two girls walked by us dressed like they were going to the academy awards (I'm being nice, they actually look like the type of girls my mother would never approve of). My wife said under her breath, “OH my goodness.” One would think they were going someplace else afterwards, but they might have been 16 or 17 and they were with their parents, who were dressed very casual. So after we got a good laugh out of how these girls thought they were cover models for Vogue, we heard this horrible noise.
There was this large group of people sitting near us that had this very loud little kid about 6 or 7. Seems that whenever he felt like he was not getting enough attention he would scream. The parents were sitting on the opposite end of the table from him, so I was going to offer to knock the brat up side his head if he didn’t quit. I heard the little monster order a Mountain Dew with his meal, and I thought please do not give him sugar.  We were thankful that we were done with our meal by the time they were finishing ordering. I could tell the parents of this spawn of Satan purposely put him at the opposite end of the table where someone else had to deal with him. Here’s the thing for all you parents. Bathrooms at restaurants are used for two reasons; one is the obvious, the other is to take your screaming demon in there and lay the smack down on them. We’ll still go back to Calypso Joe’s again, just ask to sit outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment