Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Oyster House for Dessert

Our last eating adventure at Orange Beach, Alabama was at The Original Oyster House. It is one of our favorite places to eat. For one particular reason the dessert. The food is good, as well as the atmosphere. To give you an idea on how good the place is, we tried to go there as one of our first stops but it was at least a two hour or more wait to get in that day. So we decided to wait another day and go earlier to beat the rush. We basically got there about the same time as the senior citizens; because as we all know when they go out they have to be back in time for Wheel of Fortune. How old are Pat and Vanna anyway?

Our last night of eating out on our vacation and I was going to go big. I started with an appetizer of Alligator Bites. It taste like chicken, but had a texture of fish. It came with a special sauce made by Joe and Dave. I don’t know who Joe and Dave are, but they make a heck of a dippin sauce. Which you can purchase in their gift store with a selection of other spices and sauces, not really worth the price they were selling it for, plus my extra money was for the dessert. I was a little curious where the gator came from since this place was right next to the lagoon.

For the main course I had the Butter Pecan Mahi: carefully grilled, topped with sweet pecan butter. OH MY GOODNESS. If I didn’t think I would embarrass myself and my wife, I would have picked up the plate and licked the remainder of the butter off. My wife got the Boardwalk Combo: Flounder with crabmeat dressing and fried shrimp. Also, very good, I always get to try a bite of two off her plate. She also got the salad bar with her meal and said some of my favorite words, “I’ll be sure to get some stuff for you to.” That’s true love there.

So a quick recap; I had alligator, my meal, some of my wife’s meal and some stuff from the salad bar. But I didn’t go there for all that. It was time for dessert, Peanut Butter Pie. Enough said. Not just Peanut Butter Pie, but with chocolate chips and it was homemade. If it has Peanut Butter in it, it’s going to be good. Add cream cheese and a graham cracker crust…. I’ve lost my train of thought just thinking about it again. I thought it would be a nice touch to go back to our condo and eat it while looking over the ocean, romantic aren’t I. I ask the waitress to put it in a to-go box, and she acted like I was a wimp for not trying to eat it there. Oh it was on, I accepted that challenge. My wife had a few bites and went out quickly; I was in it for the glory. I enjoyed every bite of that Peanut Butter heaven and finished it. I might have needed to make a quick exit out of The Oyster House so no one would see me loosen my pants, but I left there victorious and thinking I’ll be back next year for round two.

No comments:

Post a Comment