Thursday, July 14, 2011

Continuing on with the food saga at the beach, the second day we went to a steak restaurant.  I love steak, nothing better than a piece of meat cooked just right. Being the food lover I am; I also enjoy the sides that come with the meal. It often takes longer for me to decide what I want on the side than the actual main dish. But with steak it is an easy choice, it has to be a potato. Steak and potatoes go together like peanut butter and jelly (another favorite of mine). So one would think an ordinary common meal like steak and potatoes would be easy to get at a steak restaurant….

We went to Jake’s Steakhouse that evening. Jake was next door to Bubba’s Seafood that I mentioned in the last Blog and they were also related. I don’t know if they were brothers, cousins or what, but I was suspecting some inbreeding going on after that night. The wife and I decided that it would be fun to buy a T-shirt at each of the places we ate at. So after we put our names down with the hostess, we went to the little souvenir corner. They had their shirts, but with no prices. So we began looking around to see if we could find some help, no one would even look at us. Looking at the other stuff they had that did have prices, I decided it would be too much any ways. They had Flip Flops for $20, who buys flip flops at a steak house for $20. Maybe for those people coming from the beach and didn’t realize they have a no shirt, no shoes policy. Because flip flops cover the feet so well. So our name got called and off we went to the table.
My wife, the savvy shopper that she is, buys these coupons on-line that give you a discount on your total bill if you order over a certain amount of food. You just need to show the coupon to your server before you order. No problem, except when the inbreeding owners hire their offspring for their workers. I showed the coupon to the waitress and she looked at me like I just asked her to read the business section of the New York Times, which anything above Dr. Seuss would be above her reading level. Her response was and I quote,” We just had a meetin’ ‘bout them things, I didn’t pay too much attention to it then, so I don’t know what all that means. But order what you want.” So I followed up with asking her if it was going to be a problem to use the coupon. She told us to go back up front to show it to the hostess. Why the hostess needed to see a coupon, we couldn’t understand. Neither could the hostess, when my wife walked back to the front of the place, she was told that she just need to give it to our server and it would be taken care of. At this point we were feeling like we were in the Twilight Zone and just wanted our food.
We broke the rule of ordering something different and each got a steak. You gotta order a steak at a Steak house. We each got it medium rare and a baked potato to go along with it. They had some great rolls to snack on while you wait. This was a good thing, because the wait was a very long time. I think they had to hunt and kill the cow first, and being inbred the cow probably out smarted them for a while. So we finally get our food and I think they literally kill the cow and put it on the plate. Apparently these kissing cousins did not know the difference between raw and medium rare, but I was so hungry I didn’t send it back. Plus I was a little disappointed in the baked potato with the little packet of squeezable sour cream and the little slab of butter. We were ready to be done and go back to the condo.
She gives us the bill, I hand her the coupon AGAIN. She looks at me like I just committed a crime. I watched her get her manager that looked like it was her Aunt Mom. After counting their toes a few times, which they could do through their $20 flip flops, they came back with the bill and amazingly it was the right amount. I wanted to tell the waitress to have a nice night with her half-brother cousin, but we just left and got some ice cream. Mm mm ice Cream, God’s way of telling us everything will be OK now.

No comments:

Post a Comment