Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fresh Shrimp

WELCOME TO MY NEW FOOD BLOG. I love food so much I decided to make a separate blog just for the topic...Enjoy and Bon appetite

Day three of the edible adventure at the beach; when we travel my wife goes for the sites and the shopping; I go for the different food I normally cannot get. I’ll have to admit though on this trip I got to see something very cool, the Blue Angels practice their air show. That was incredible to see, these huge fighter jets fly within 18 inches of each other and do stunts in the air. It was truly a site to see, even though we had to put up with some kid that sat in front of us on the bleachers and thought my knees were his personal punching bags. Then there was the old lady behind us who thought she was in the plane with the pilots and had to comment on everything. According to her they were not very good pilots and the speaker didn’t know what he was talking about. Like I was going to listen to some old lady whose glasses were the size of coke bottles and I think she thought the birds flying around were the airplanes.
Now to the really good part, on the way home we stopped by a local fish market. Our quest was to get some steamed shrimp. The first market we went into was like going to a Wal-Mart after mid-night. These people acted like they had never been out in public before. We would be looking at one item when someone would just push in front of us. Not to get anything, they would just get their big, unwashed, smelly head in front of us and just stand there. Then we saw some lobster salad we thought we would try. The worker was there taking inventory or putting prices on things or just acting like she was supposed to be there. She didn’t move, I said excuse me, nothing. She just stood there holding a box. Ignored me twice after I tried to get her attention, my guess was that she was wondering how she ever achieve such a great level in her career to be working at the local fish market, serving people that smelled like the merchandise that they were selling.
We left that market and decided to try another one. Jackpot! We were the only ones in the market and the people who worked their actually wanted to sell us something. I asked for some steamed shrimp. The reply was “What size and how many pounds.” This surprised me since I didn’t know I had a choice. They had four different sizes, we asked for a pound of the medium. He put some on the scale and I laughed. That wouldn’t have been enough to feed my cat, so we got two pounds of shrimp and some French bread. We got back to the condo, went out on the balcony, and I took a bite. The clouds broke apart and the angels broke into chorus “Hallelujah, Hallelujah!” That was the best shrimp I ever had. I could have eaten all two pounds in one sitting. But because I like my wife I allowed her to have some. I counted how many she had to make sure she didn’t get more than me. (Just joking or am I) We didn’t eat it all that night; I stopped myself so I could enjoy it the next day for lunch. I was so addicted to the shrimp I was tempted to knock some kid down for his swimming goggles and see if I could find my own fresh shrimp at the beach. But instead I just laid there on my beach chair waiting for lunch to come around so I could indulge in some more tasty little critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment